As we find the way forward in fundraising we need to remember the past and present. Motivation. The core of human achievement and where we must always be.
There is no science to this other than experience, instinct and observation. But here are 9 motivators for fundraising. The drivers we need to understand and be along side.
- Love of – The prime driver. Love of a cause, person or experience
- Dare – A gauntlet thrown down and picked up
- Challenge – A quest to prove. A test for oneself or family or friends. A personal test
- Change – To create change in something or someone
- Build – To make something new
- Save – A saviour, to keep something special and of value, to stand up for
- Repair – Restore, put right, fix and establish in a new world what was once
- Belong – To join in and be part of, a gang and community together
- Guilt – Fear, guilt as a driver that is the least attractive but real and alive
Motivation is what makes change and fundraising can be the route to make the most change – personally as well as together